ISO IEC 20000 certification is a process that organizations can go through to ensure that their IT service management (ITSM) processes are up to par with international best practices. The certification is based on the ISO/IEC 20000 standard, which outlines what ITSM processes should be in place for an organization to be considered successful. Organizations that achieve ISO IEC 20000 certification have proven that they have met the highest standards in terms of quality and efficiency when it comes to delivering IT services. If you’re looking to improve your IT operations, then achieving ISO IEC 20000 certification may be the right step for you!
What is ISO/IEC 20000?
ISO/IEC 20000 is an international standard that specifies requirements for an effective and high-quality information technology service management (ITSM) system for IT service delivery. The standard is based on the best practices of leading organizations in the field of ITSM, and it outlines what processes and procedures should be in place in order to deliver IT services effectively.
History of ISO IEC 20000
The ISO IEC 20000 standard was first published in 2005. It was developed by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) and the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) as a way to provide guidance for organizations that wanted to improve their management of information technology (IT) services. The standard is based on the internationally recognized best practices for service management, known as the Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL).
The ISO IEC 20000 standard is made up of two parts:
- Part 1: Specifies the requirements for an organization to establish, implement, operate, monitor, review, and improve a Service Management System (SMS).
- Part 2: Provides guidance on how to plan, establish, implement, operate, monitor, review, and improve IT service management.
The ISO IEC 20000 standard is designed to be used in conjunction with other ISO management system standards, such as ISO 9001 (quality management) and ISO 27001 (information security management).
What is ISO 20000 Certification?
ISO 20000 certification is an independent verification that a company has implemented and adheres to the requirements of the ISO IEC 20000 standard and is committed to continual improvement. Earning ISO 20000 certification demonstrates that an organization is dedicated to providing quality IT service management (ITSM) and is willing to be measured against international standards. The certification is granted by a certification body (CB) after a successful assessment.
How Certification to ISO IEC 20000 Can Benefit Businesses?
- Improved service quality – One of the main benefits of certification to ISO/IEC 20000 is improved service quality. By following the requirements of the standard, organizations are able to put in place processes and controls that help them to deliver quality IT services.
- Enhanced customer satisfaction – Improved service quality leads to enhanced customer satisfaction. When customers are happy with the services they receive, they are more likely to continue doing business with an organization.
- Increased efficiency – Certification to ISO/IEC 20000 can also lead to increased efficiency in an organization’s IT operations. By streamlining processes and eliminating waste, organizations are able to operate more efficiently and effectively.
- Cost savings – Improved efficiency often leads to cost savings. When an organization is able to eliminate waste and operate more effectively, it can save money on its IT operations.
- Reduced risk – Certification to ISO/IEC 20000 can also help reduce risk in an organization’s IT operations. By putting in place processes and controls that help manage risk, organizations can minimize the impact of potential problems.
- Improved staff morale – Certification to ISO/IEC 20000 can also lead to improved staff morale. When employees know that their organization is committed to providing quality IT services, they are more likely to be motivated and engaged in their work.
- Enhanced reputation – An organization that is certified to ISO/IEC 20000 is often seen as being more credible and trustworthy than one that is not certified. This can lead to an enhanced reputation, which can in turn lead to increased business opportunities.
- Better business continuity planning – One of the requirements of the ISO/IEC 20000 standard is effective business continuity planning (BCP). By having an effective BCP in place, organizations can minimize the impact of disruptions and ensure that their IT operations can continue running smoothly even in adverse conditions.
Who Can Apply?
Any organization that provides IT services can apply for certification to ISO/IEC 20000. There is no size or type of organization required for certification. Some examples of organizations that have been certified to ISO/IEC 20000 include:
- Internal IT departments
- Cloud service providers
- Managed service providers
- IT outsourcing companies
How to Get ISO IEC 20000 Certified?
Understand the requirements.
The first step to getting ISO IEC 20000 certified is to understand the requirements of the standard. The standard is divided into two parts: Part 1 contains the requirements for an organization to establish, implement, operate, monitor, review, and improve a service management system. Part 2 contains the requirements for an organization to be assessed for compliance with Part 1.
Implement an IT service management system.
Once you have understood the requirements of the standard, you will need to implement an IT service management (ITSM) system that meets those requirements. The ITSM system is a set of processes and controls that an organization puts in place to manage its IT services.
Get registered with a certification body.
After you have implemented an ITSM system, you will need to get registered with a certification body. It is always better to get certified by an accredited certification body as it gives more credibility to the certification.
Get audited by the certification body.
After you have been registered with a certification body, you will need to go through an audit process. The certification body will conduct audits at various stages of your ITSM system implementation to ensure that you are compliant with the requirements of the standard. If found compliant, you will be awarded the ISO/IEC 20000 certification.
Maintain your certification.
After you have been certified, you will need to maintain your certification by regularly monitoring and reviewing your ITSM system. You will also need to go through periodic audits by the certification body to ensure that your system is still compliant with the requirements of the standard.
ISO/IEC 20000 certification can bring many benefits to your organization, including improved service quality, increased efficiency, and improved credibility. If you are considering implementing an ITSM system, then certification should be on your radar.