Breaking News

how to get an HGV licence

A Brief Information About How to Get an HGV Licence

HGV classes are the types of licences that are available for operating HGV vehicles. Different HGV vehicle permits are available based on the size of the truck and the load it can carry. The proper licence must be obtained before you operate any heavy goods vehicle. In addition, the HGV licence cost will vary depending on the category you select.

Are you still confused about how to get an HGV licence? There are simple ways to get an HGV licence. All you need is to pass some of the tests that are medical tests, theory tests and practical tests. Below you will see the brief information on these three tests.

Medical Test

Professional driver training requires a medical examination. The exam verifies that you don’t have any medical issues that would make driving a haulage truck risky for you.

Theory Test

Similar to a regular driving test, you will have to take an official testing centre multiple-choice theory test on a screen.

Practical Training

During this stage, a DSV-licensed instructor teaches you how to operate an actual HGV vehicle.

HGV Licences Include

The different categories of HGV licences are mentioned below.

Class 1 HGV Licence

This licence is also known as category C+E. With this licence, the driver is allowed to operate a vehicle weighing 7.5 tonnes or more and to detach the caravan. These are usually longer-distance vehicles that are larger.

Class 2 HGV Licence

Class 2, or the C category licences. Any heavy-duty vehicle (HGV) that weighs more than 7.5 tonnes and has a rigid body foundation is subject to this. The cab and trailer won’t come apart with this class.

These might include, for example, waste collection trucks and fire engines. These are more likely to be utilised in cities than on long-distance running courses.

CAT C1 Licence

A driver with a category C1 licence cannot operate a truck larger than that of a driver with a different licence. This is necessary if the HGV weighs more than 3.5 tonnes but less than 7.5 tonnes.

Those who completed their driving exam prior to 1997 were automatically granted one of these permits. Those who passed after that would need to repeat the exam to receive it.

CAT D Licence and CAT D1 Licence

You require a category D or D1 licence (other than your automobile) to operate a vehicle carrying passengers. Bus and coach drivers are often those who wish to operate a vehicle with a large number of passengers inside.

A category D1 licence is a little different from the prior ones. The operator is permitted to drive a minibus with up to 16 seats using this licence. Similar to the C1 licence, this one is issued automatically to individuals who passed their driving exam prior to 1997; if not, you will need to retake it.

CAT B + E Licence

A cat B+E licence allows the driver to tow an object behind their regular car. If you wish to tow something across town or to another town, you need to have this licence. You are exempt from doing it if your driving test was passed prior to 1997.

HIAB Licence

A HIAB or Lorry Loader endorsement is an extra endorsement that you can apply to your licence. Essentially, this will provide the user the ability to operate a truck loader or other machinery that uses hydraulic attachments to load anything onto the long bed of a trailer. This training will help you become more proficient at operating the truck loader and any additional cranes that may be mounted on the truck.

ADR Licence

Anyone moving any kind of item deemed dangerous must comply with this requirement. Two instances of this are people who drive fuel tankers or move caustic or combustible liquids. These products cannot be taken by operators who do not possess the required licence to help.